Hello! My name is Lori Perez and I am an Educational Technology Coach in New Jersey. I have a healthy obsession with new technology and its applications in the classroom.
My professional experience in education is extensive and diverse. I began my teaching career right out of college as a high school Social Studies teacher.
After earning tenure in my first district, I decided I wanted to see more of the world, so I accepted a teaching position overseas and became a pre-K through 8th grade English as a Foreign Language instructor in Daegu, South Korea.
Later, I gained experience as an editorial assistant with the Journal of American History while I pursued my graduate degree in history. (Here’s a link to a chronology I prepared while I was at the journal.)
I have experience as an adult school history teacher, as well as an adjunct history instructor at a local community college. Before accepting my current position as an Educational Technology Coach, for the past fifteen years I taught high school Social Studies, serving as lead teacher for the Social Studies department for five of those years.
- New Jersey teaching certificates (K-8 and 6-12 Social Studies)
- New Jersey Supervisor’s Certificate
- Google Certified Educator (Level 1)
- Certified Microsoft Innovative Educator
- BrainPOP Certified Educator
- Duolingo Certified Educator
TECHNOLOGY & INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN EXPERIENCE
- I have experience training teachers in both Microsoft Office 365 and Google Suite for Education (GAFE), Edmodo and Schoology, as well as other educational applications like BrainPOP, Nearpod, Office Mix, EDpuzzle, Kahoot!, Plickers, and Sporcle. Here is a sample of the sessions I have offered recently:
- “Time-saving Secrets for Windows 10”
- “PowerPoint with Superpowers: Introduction to Office Mix”
- “Introduction to Nearpod”
- “Introduction to OneNote”
- “Schoology for the Tech Saavy and Tech Shy”
- I have experience using social networking applications like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram, and blogging applications, like WordPress and Blogger.
- I am currently expanding my experience with virtual reality/augmented reality, and game-based learning.
- I serve as a district coach, offering professional development courses, individualized training sessions, and departmental presentations on new technology and its applications in the classroom.
- I served as the lead teacher for the Social Studies department for five years, supervised four student teaching experiences, and served as mentor teacher on multiple occasions.
- I successfully proposed, designed, and implemented curriculum for Honors Historical Research Seminar, an intensive one-year technology-based original research seminar for advanced students of history.
- I restructured curricula and designed differentiated student-centered materials for United States History I and II, Advanced Placement European History, Modern World History, Modern World History Honors, and Women’s Studies.
- I designed educational program, curricula, and instructional materials for a start-up English-language institute in South Korea.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.